Truck Accident Case
We took more than 60 depositions in five different states. Because of Stephenson’s tireless advocacy, shortly before the trial was to commence, the defendants settled the case for $48.5 million.
Bucket Truck Accidents Lawyer Helps Recover Compensation
Bucket trucks — sometimes called basket cranes, boom trucks, or “cherry pickers” — pose many hazards.
Doing your job in a bucket truck is associated with certain risks. While most jobs have hazards, the chances of being injured while working in a bucket truck are significant. Workers are sometimes positioned over 100 feet above the ground, occasionally near power lines. Is it any wonder that bucket truck injuries are often severe and sometimes fatal? Survivors often face mounting bills at a time when they are in pain and unable to work, and life may never be the same for them.
If you or a loved one has been injured or someone has died in a bucket truck accident in Indiana, you may be entitled to receive financial compensation for your losses and injuries. However, insurance companies often attempt to deny claims or pay out less than you deserve, and they may even try to put the blame on you, so it can be difficult to get fair compensation on your own.
At this challenging time, when you are dealing with the consequences of the accident, an Indianapolis work injury lawyer can take the burden off you and help fight for the compensation you deserve. The skilled and experienced attorneys at Stephenson Rife have represented hundreds of clients injured in workplace accidents and have successfully secured optimum compensation, and they are prepared to do the same for you.
With more than 30 years of experience handling on-site injury and accident claims in Indiana, we are dedicated to aggressively representing injured clients and securing the best possible outcomes. We offer a free consultation to review your situation and determine the best path to full compensation and benefits. Call us today at (317) 680-2501 to discuss your case in detail.
Our Bucket Truck Accident Lawyer Works for You
Why Choose Stephenson Rife?
There are many attorneys out there, and it is important for you to find one who knows workplace injury law and has the resources and qualifications to get the results you need. Here are some reasons why we think you should choose Stephenson Rife to represent you:
- We are experienced. We have been meeting the needs of people throughout Indiana since 1976. Mike Stephenson has 40 years of experience handling injuries and is a trusted advisor to many individuals and companies.
- We get results and win large settlements, such as the $48.5 million we won in a truck accident case. We have a strong record of success in a wide range of personal injury cases. You can read our clients’ testimonials and information about their cases.
- We handle all legal requirements, forms, paperwork, and court issues.
- We deal and negotiate with insurance companies so that you will not have to.
- We are recognized for our expertise and often consult other law firms.
- We offer free initial consultations to get you started.
- We are able to provide cost-effective legal services to keep fees low, and you pay us nothing unless we win, and you receive your compensation.
How Our Work Injury Lawyer Helps
Depending on your situation, our Indiana bucket truck injury lawyers may help you get benefits through workers’ compensation, or we may be able to win a settlement in a workplace personal injury, premise liability, or wrongful death lawsuit. We know it is important to act and begin investigations quickly after an accident, and we will get to work to build your case immediately. We will:
- Handle all correspondence with insurance companies, make sure all forms are filled out correctly in a timely manner, and keep you informed on what to do to meet Indiana requirements and prevent hurting your case.
- Conduct investigations to gather evidence to prove how the injury occurred (for example, interviews with witnesses and co-workers; an examination of the bucket truck and its maintenance records; photographs and videos from the accident; and police, ambulance, and medical records.)
- Make sure you get proper medical care and that everything is documented.
- Get expert opinions from accident reconstruction professionals, medical professionals, therapists, and life-care specialists as to how injuries affect your life now and will in the future.
- Negotiate with insurance companies and their lawyers for a fair settlement.
- Represent you at any hearings.
- Prepare your case and advocate on your behalf if it goes to trial.
- Handle any appeals if necessary.
When you have Stephenson Rife working for you, you no longer have to file forms, deal with insurance companies, fight denials, or worry about whether you have the best settlement offer. Let us handle all legal hurdles while you concentrate on your recovery.
Bucket Truck Accident Attorney Fights for Compensation
Depending on the circumstances of the accident, injured workers may receive compensation through the Indiana workers’ compensation system or through a personal injury lawsuit.
Generally, if you are employed in Indiana, and are not a federal employee, you are eligible for workers’ compensation if you are injured on the job.
Workers’ compensation is an insurance plan designed to cover a worker’s medical bills, lost wages, and other costs if injured on the job. The Worker’s Compensation Board of Indiana regulates workers’ comp in Indiana, and most workers are eligible for this insurance coverage from the first day of employment.
While workers’ comp provides helpful benefits, they only pay two-thirds of your average weekly wages. They do not cover all costs or prevent you from having serious financial losses, and they pay nothing for your non-monetary damages such as pain and suffering.
However, even if you are receiving workers’ comp, it is often possible to get full compensation and have all your losses covered by bringing a lawsuit against a third party whose conduct caused or contributed to your injury.
Personal Injury Lawsuit
Federal and Indiana state and federal agencies have strict guidelines and regulations, as well as recommendations for safe work practices by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), that require training, bucket truck maintenance, safety devices, and procedures to keep bucket truck workers safe while doing their jobs. Unfortunately, management or maintenance personnel may ignore these regulations or fail to ensure they are properly followed, sometimes resulting in tragic accidents.
While you cannot sue your employer for negligence in Indiana, you can sue a third party for negligence in a personal injury lawsuit. These lawsuits can be brought in situations where the party that negligently caused your injuries does not have an employee-employer relationship with your company.
- Equipment manufacturers. Equipment may have defects in design, construction, or labeling that resulted in injuries, such as malfunctioning truck booms or other mechanical problems due to the manufacturer’s defects or improper truck maintenance.
- Contractors or vendors. Outside contractors or vendors in the work area may have been negligent and caused your injuries, such as running into your boom and causing you to fall.
Our Stephenson Rife bucket truck accident attorney can help you get workers’ compensation if appropriate and determine if you can go beyond workers’ comp and file a third-party lawsuit for full compensation.
Damages Our Bucket Truck Accident Lawyers May Recover
In a successful lawsuit, our bucket truck accident attorneys may recover a compensation award, called damages, to cover the losses from the accident. Indiana allows you to recover compensatory damages for both your economic (monetary costs and losses) and noneconomic damages (damages that do not have a specific dollar value but negatively impact your life).
Compensatory damages may include:
- Medical and rehabilitative bills and equipment
- Costs of continuing care
- Full lost wages from being unable to work
- Property damage
- Physical, mental, and emotional pain and suffering
- Permanent disability.
Punitive damages may also be awarded in certain rare circumstances to punish negligent parties for willful negligence or especially egregious behavior and to act as a deterrent for similar misconduct in the future.
Bucket Truck Lawyers Answer FAQs
When dealing with a serious injury, you are bound to have questions and concerns. These are best addressed at your free consultation, but to get started, here are some answers to questions our attorneys are often asked.
Will My Employer Retaliate If I File a Claim?
Employers cannot legally retaliate against workers who exercise their right to file a claim after being injured on the job. However, Indiana is an at-will employment state, which means that an employer can generally fire an employee at any time. Our lawyers can make sure everything is done correctly and make it less likely you will lose your job after filing a claim.
Are There Time Limits to Filing a Lawsuit?
Yes, Indiana has a deadline called a statute of limitations (Indiana statute §34-11-2-4). This generally gives two years from the date of the injury to file a personal injury lawsuit in case of death, you have two years to file a wrongful death claim from the day of the death.
What If I Did Something to Contribute to the Accident?
You may still collect damages if your fault is not greater than fifty percent (50%) of the total fault involved in the incident, according to Indiana’s modified comparative negligence statute (Indiana Code Title 34, Section 51-2-5, et seq.) However, the damage award will be reduced according to the percentage of fault you bear.
What If a Loved One Dies from a Bucket Truck Accident?
If the accident results in death, Indiana’s wrongful death statute (IC 34-23-1-2) allows the personal representative of the deceased to file a wrongful death suit for damages for medical, hospital, funeral, and burial expenses as well as compensation for the loss of love and companionship, lost wages, and reasonable attorney fees.
When you have our Stephenson Rife lawyers working for you, we will always be there to answer questions that injured workers frequently ask and explain all legal procedures.
Get Help from Our Bucket Truck Accident Lawyers
At Stephenson Rife, our Indianapolis bucket truck work accident lawyers strive to provide the highest possible level of service. We care about our clients and fight for the results they need. We are dedicated to thoroughly investigating work accidents so that every responsible party is held accountable.
We work on a contingency basis, so there are no up-front costs to you. If we win your case, then the attorney’s fees and expenses will be paid out of the settlement.
Do not delay. For your free consultation, call Stephenson Rife at 317-680-2501 today to start your case while evidence is fresh, and witnesses can be found.